Monday 22 February 2010

Songs for the New Depression


'As of this writing some folks are saying things are looking up recession wise and this particular hard time might be ending. Other experts are saying we’re in for a “double-dip” and there’s more feces heading toward the national and global fans. If that’s the case i’d like to cash in. So buddy if you can spare a few bucks, please enjoy “10 Songs for the New Depression”!'

– LW3 Jan. 2010


10 Songs for the New Depression

Tracklist:
1. Times is Hard
2. House
3. On To Victory, Mr. Roosevelt
4. Fear Itself
5. The Panic Is On
6. The Krugman Blues
7. Halloween 2009
8. Middle of the Night
9. Cash For Clunkers
10. Got a Ukelele


NOTES FOR 10 SONGS FOR THE NEW DEPRESSION:

1. TIMES IS HARD:

This song was written following the 2009 Inaugural and asks or perhaps begs the question: “Can nihilism be used as a tool to remedy social ills?” I suspect Pete Seeger would reject this premise, though I’d like to think that Will Rogers and Woody Guthrie might dig the concept.


2. HOUSE:

So far I’ve remained relatively unscathed by the New Depression though I do own a home in southern California that I am unable to sell at present. My financial advisors tell me that the present will most assuredly stretch into the foreseeable future.


3. ON TO VICTORY, MR. ROOSEVELT:

Written and originally recorded circa 1933 by W . Lee O’ Daniel, a Texas politician who (unsuccessfully) ran for Governor of the Lone Star State. He was depicted in the Coen Bros. film “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” as Daddy O’ Daniel, portrayed in the film by the actor Charles Durning.


4. FEAR ITSELF:

I’ve been thinking for years now that nothing really bad would happen to me in what’s left of my life time. I dodged the draft (Vietnam) and miraculously drifted into a fun and rewarding career. Divorce, guilt, and the death of a parent have been about as bad as it’s gotten for me in 63 years. What luck! Even 9/11 and most certainly Darfur seem at a remove from my actual existence. It’s strange then that towards the end of said existence there’s been a kind of catastrophic feeling in the air. Rather exciting and certainly something to write and sing about.


5. THE PANIC IS ON:

Written and originally recorded by Hezekiah Jenkins who was a songster and Medicine Show performer, beginning his career circa 1910. Jenkins recorded a handful of sides for Columbia and Gennett Records 1924-32.


6. THE KRUGMAN BLUES:

I really did spot and speak to liberal NY TIMES columnist Paul Krugman on the train, though it was on the way up to Boston not down to DC. When I got up the guts to approach and encourage him to keep up his great work he seemed quite pleased. And it must be said he has quite a lovely smile.


7. HALLOWEEN 2009:

Thanks to Dick Connette for the spooky sound effect suggestions on this one.


8. MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT

I wrote this a few years ago in an attempt to cheer myself up and also to purvey an optimistic point of view for a change. I suppose I was tapping into my very own personal psychological depression, an abundant source that has served me as a songwriter for years now.


9. CASH FOR CLUNKERS:

A snippet of “C.F.C.” was recently featured on NPR’s “Car Talk”. What a thrill!


10. GOT A UKULELE:

In terms of improving one’s mood and general outlook I consider the ukulele to be the big gun. No wonder the uke was so popular in the 20s & 30s. Charles Shultz in an early “Peanuts” cartoon has Charlie Brown (or Lucy?) stating categorically that every child coming into the world should be issued a banjo. Well, in these hard times we need ukulele backup.

http://www.lw3.com/songs.php

No comments:

Post a Comment